Has the silly season taken its toll? Has one too many Christmas parties left you feeling sluggish and unmotivated at work? Try these quick yoga pick me ups to help you get through the day without taking a nap under your desk. Take a few minutes out of your day to relieve tired eyes, detox and boost energy.
RELIEVE TIRED EYES
Did that early celebration on a weeknight turn into an all nighter? If you’re struggling to keep your eyes open try this soothing exercise:
- Rub the palms of your hands together quickly to generate heat.
- Place your palms softly over your eyes.
- Keep them resting gently until the heat disappears.
The theory behind this exercise is that the eyes radiate a strong, narrow stream of energy outward. The palms resting over the top redirect that energy back into the eyes. Soothing and refreshing.
One too many drinks last night? If you are feeling a little dusty and need to start bringing those toxins to the surface try a gentle spine twist:. It will help to get your circulation pumping and release impurities:
- Plant the soles of your feet into the ground at hip distance.
- Sit up straight and tall, lengthening the neck and spine.
- Reach your right hand over to the outside of your left knee.
- Use the leverage of hand against knee to twist towards the left.
- Reach your left hand around to the back of your chair and turn your gaze over your left shoulder to work deeper into the twist.
- Breathe and hold for 20 seconds. Unwind, repeat on the other side.
Forget caffeine, try backbends. They unleash your energy and help to awaken the body and clear the mind. They open the lungs and deepen the breath. They also elevate your mood. Try this gentle version:
- Keep your feet planted into the ground, knees bent.
- Sit up tall, lengthen the spine, hands down on your chair.
- If it’s safe for your neck slowly trail your gaze along the ceiling as you ease into a slight backbend.
- Keeping your breathing under control, hold for 20 seconds.
- Slowly release and fold forward, chest down onto your thighs.
- Hold for 20 seconds to allow the spine to neutralise.
Note: If you have neck issues please keep the chin tucked into the chest.
TIP: Watch out for chairs with wheels, you don’t want them to take off on you! You can always put back of the chair against a wall or your desk to keep them stable.
Share this with your friends, family and colleagues!
Have a fantastic Christmas!
Stretch and smile,
Kula Corporate Yoga provides Melbourne workplaces with group yoga programs to build employee health, fitness and wellbeing. Kula Yoga offers staff a unique yoga experience to strengthen their minds and bodies. Find out more about our beneficial group yoga programs on our website www.kulayoga.com.au.