Sometimes you just need to take a deep breath and realise that if you support both your immune system and your nervous system, it’s unlikely you’ll get sick.
At Kula we are blessed to have wonderful yoga teachers who bring a wealth of knowledge and expertise beyond the mat. Kula teacher and qualified Nutritionist, also known as The Natural Nutritionist, Steph Northeast provides her top tips for boosting your immunity and staying healthy.
- Eat a whole food, plant predominant diet with vitamin C fro berries, citrus fruits and dark leafy greens
- Add raw garlic, such as in a salad dressing – it’s one of the best antimicrobials there is!
- Support your gut (where 80+% of your immune system lies) with probiotic rich foods such as fermented vegetables or coconut yoghurt that contains live cultures. My favourite is Kultured Wellness.
- Take extra vitamin C, especially if you are exposed to unwell people or have to travel. I love Melrose Health Essential C + Immune (or their Vitamin C + Bioflavanoids if you are pregnant)
- Breathe. A stressed nervous system will suppress your immune system and increase your susceptibility. Take three of your deepest belly breaths right now and notice how different you feel.
- Nourish your nervous system with herbs such as ashwagandha or medical mushrooms such as reishi. I adore SuperFeast.
- Turn off the news and unfollow any fear-based accounts you currently follow on social media. It’s not ignorance, it’s choosing what you are exposed to every moment of your day.
Stay happy and healthy and we’ll see you on the mat.
More about Steph
Steph has been a student for close to two decades now, and yoga has always been her one constant. She partied hard in my 20’s, then raced a number of half Ironmans, but never felt her authentic self. Always moving from extremes, never balanced, rarely grounded. Then, in 2014 Steph experienced a debilitating back injury and was forced away from triathlon, which she can now see was creating space for a deeper dive into yoga, to rehabilitate not only her body, but her mind. While Steph has always known the power of yoga, it has exponentially changed her life in the last five years. It has been the catalyst for her strength, resilience and calmness of mind. Steph is her truest self on the mat – strong, balanced and truly connected. Through yoga she has experienced such a powerful transformation and wants nothing more than for you to have the same. While she’s been lucky enough to have already found her life purpose as both a nutritionist and life-long student, she now sees that her deeper role is to help you to find yours. And it’s through yoga that you truly can. Welcome Northeast Yoga. North for the mind, East for the heart. Yoga to connect the two.
To book a consultation with Steph or to find out more about The Natural Nutritionist, visit: www.thenaturalnutritionist.com.au.
Strengthen, energise, release & thrive with Hot Yoga, Vinyasa Flow, Slow Flow and Yin Yoga classes at our beautiful studios in Hawthorn & Hampton, in Boroondara and Bayside Melbourne.
Our studios also host regular yoga workshops, Victorian weekend yoga retreats, and overseas retreats to exotic places like Bali, Thailand & India. We also offer as a mobile yoga programs for community, school and corporate groups.
Our Hawthorn studio caters to the surrounding suburbs of Camberwell, Kew, Canterbury, Glen Iris, Richmond, Balwyn & Surrey Hills.
Our Hampton studio covers the Bayside communities of Brighton, Sandringham, Black Rock, Beaumaris, Highett, Moorabbin & Bentleigh.
Enjoy our Intro Offer ~ 6 Classes for $50 ~ for newcomers to the studio, valid for 3 weeks from first use.